The Health Care You Want. Where You Want.
Blue Local is currently offered with Carolinas HealthCare System (CHS) and is available to individuals only in the following counties:
Blue Local with Duke Medicine and WakeMed is available to residents of these Triangle area counties:
Blue Local is the Best Choice for People Who:
- Live in one of these counties.
- Would like to see premium savings of up to 14%.1
- Prefer to see doctors and other providers in or affiliated with Carolinas HealthCare System and Duke Medicine and WakeMed2.
Blue Local offers lower costs and improved patient experience by partnering with a single health care system that delivers more coordinated health care. Blue Local plans also offer preventive care covered at 100%3.
Blue Local offers a variety of different benefits plans, with a range of payment options for your medical expenses. For more options for your budget and needs, some plans offer a combination of copayments and deductible and coinsurance.
- Copayments, which are fixed amounts for things like primary care office visits and prescriptions.
- Deductible and coinsurance plans, which have lower premiums than copayment plans. If you do not expect a lot of medical expenses and want to save money on premiums, these may be the right choice for you. For these plans, you pay the full cost of your medical expenses until you meet your medical deductible. Then you pay a coinsurance percentage, sharing the cost with BCBSNC until you reach your out-of-pocket limit. After that, BCBSNC pays all the covered costs.
Blue Local plans are available in bronze, silver, gold and platinum. The levels differ by how much of your medical costs a plan will pay on average. They are based on approximate values for standard medical expenses.4 5 All plans have a maximum out-of-pocket (OOP) limit of $6,850 or less.
- Bronze plans pay 60% of medical costs on average
- Silver plans pay 70% of medical costs on average
- Gold plans pay 80% of medical costs on average
- Platinum plans pay 90% of medical costs on average
Health Savings Account (HSA)
One Blue Local plan can also be linked to an HSA.
- The money you contribute to your HSA is tax-deductible.6
- When you need to pay for eligible medical services, you can pay for them with your HSA funds.
- Your HSA rolls over from year to year. That means you keep what you put into it. It’s your HSA - it’s your money.
BCBSNC Internal Data, May 2014 premium difference for Blue Local compared to a comparable Blue Advantage plan with $1,000 Deductible and 80% Coinsurance. Actual savings will depend on the plan design selected. ↩
Please note that if you see a provider who is not in network, you will be subjected to out-of-network benefits. ↩
Certain preventive care services are covered at 100% before deductible when received in an in-network office or out-patient setting. Other covered services may be subject to deductible and coinsurance. When you receive preventive care out-of-network, you may pay more. Visit bcbsnc.com/preventive for a full list of preventive services. ↩
The Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. “Actuarial Value and Cost-Sharing Reductions Bulletin.” http://cciio.cms.gov/resources/files/Files2/02242012/Av-csr-bulletin.pdf. Accessed April 29, 2013. ↩
These are approximate values with a +/- 2% variation. ↩
HSA contribution amounts are limited to the amount established by the IRS for each year for single or family coverage. ↩