What Is Medigap Plan L?

Medigap Plan L is a type of Medicare Supplement Plan. This plan helps cover the gaps not covered by Original Medicare, such as deductibles and coinsurance. In addition, Medigap Plan L provides a lower premium if you're willing to share some of your health care costs with your insurance provider. 

Health Plans of NC, Kelly Quinn
Mature Asian lady with positive grey haired friend spend time together sitting at small table in street cafe on nice autumn day

Medigap Plan L is a type of Medicare Supplement Plan. This plan helps cover the gaps not covered by Original Medicare, such as deductibles and coinsurance. In addition, Medigap Plan L provides a lower premium if you're willing to share some of your health care costs with your insurance provider. 

When you enroll in Medigap Plan L, your health insurer pays 75% of your medical costs covered by the plan. You're responsible for paying the other 25%. You're also responsible for paying the Medicare Part B deductible and any excess charges. Excess charges relate to instances where your care provider doesn't accept assignment from Medicare, which means they can charge up to 15% more than the Medicare-approved amount. 

Benefits of Medigap Plan L

There's a range of benefits included in these types of plans, including:

  • Medicare Part A coinsurance 

  • Medicare Part A hospital costs (up to an extra 365 days after using your Medicare benefits)

  • 75% of your Medicare Part A deductible

  • 75% of your Part A hospice care copayment

  • 75% of your Medicare Part B copayment

  • 75% of your coinsurance relating to a skilled nursing facility

  • 75% of blood for the first three pints

What Medigap Plan L doesn't offer

Medigap Plan L does not provide coverage for your Medicare Part B deductible or Part B excess charges. The plan also doesn't offer coverage if you require emergency health care while traveling overseas. 

Out-of-Pocket maximum for Medicare Supplement Plan L

Like Medigap Plan K, your Medigap Plan L policy includes cap protection on your expenses. This cap is known as your out-of-pocket maximum. The limits are set by Medicare each year so that they can vary. For example, in 2022, the current limit for Medigap Plan L is $3,310.

The benefit of an out-of-pocket maximum means that you won't pay over the maximum cap figure regardless of how many medical services you need throughout the year. 

Need help finding the best Medigap plans?

If you've got questions about Medigap plans and which one is suitable for you, get in touch with our local health insurance agents to provide a free quote. We can help you determine whether Medigap Plan K or L best suit your needs. Or we can help you decide if you're better off purchasing Medigap Plan G or F. Our experienced team helps residents of North Carolina every day and can help you find the right health insurance coverage for you. We'll do the research for you, so you can have peace of mind about your health insurance coverage. Contact us today to find out more. 

Ready to get started?
Get a free quote today.
Get Started